Cake for No Reason



I haven't been doing a lot of cooking or baking lately, but I had the urge to make a pretty cake for no reason yesterday, so I did. 

I felt like getting creative, so I adapted our family pound cake recipe, subbing 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur for the lemon and almond extracts. I made a browned butter buttercream frosting, roughly based off of this recipe, except I used regular milk instead of buttermilk. For the filling, I took about 1/2 cup of the buttercream and mixed in a few tablespoons of nutella, a little more milk, and some cocoa powder. I garnished with orange rind.

I'm also trying to improve my food photography/photo editing skills and I'm pretty happy with how these pictures came out.



Have you done any fun baking projects lately? How did you adapt them? 

Do you have any tips for taking pretty pictures of food?

Comments