Pies Are Just Sweet Calzones

One of my favorite Canadians/Internet friends, Jasmine, organized a week of sharing favorite OTPs (basically relationships you really love, google it) on tumblr.

Today is the last day, so I have extra special post  for one of my favorite fictional couples, Ben Wyatt and Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec.

These nerds are best friends and I love them.
source

If you're familiar with show, you know about Ben's obsession with calzones.
Talking about highway to the calzone zone!
And his exciting revelation during Season 7's "Pie-Mary" (one of my favorite episodes ever):
source
I decided to celebrate Ben and Leslie's love with heart-shaped mini dessert calzones. I ended up actually making mini pies, because (sorry Ben), buttery pie crust is just a lot yummier than pizza dough. 


I used my go-to pie crust recipe from Smitten Kitchen:


Look at all that butter!


I decided to just wing it on the filling, but it's pretty close to this recipe for mini apple pies I posted a while back, with a little cornstarch added to make it thicker.




I made a couple of these tiny ones, but it was hard to get much filling in them so, I ended up switching to my bigger cookie cutter.





I made some lemon icing and attempted to pipe my favorite Ben and Leslie quote on them, but alas, it all ran together.

Bonus:
iPhone 5 background I made a while ago and never posted. My family will tell you that I burst into "Highway to the Danger Zone" anytime the word "zone" is mentioned so Ben's version is very near and dear to my heart. 
High quality here.
And that concludes #OTPTrashWeek! 
source

Comments